Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wateree River Bream Fishing and Water Levels

 I did a little scouting this morning on the Wateree River for an upcoming bream fishing trip I'll be leading. I put in at the Hwy. 1/601 boat landing and fished for about 3 hours, throwing Beetlespins and Mepps Aglia spinners the whole time. I landed about 30 fish, but most were too small to keep. These are river fish though, and they fight like the devil all the way to the boat. One thing I love about bream fishing in this river is that it's not uncommon to catch 4 (or more) different species of these panfish all out of what seems to be the same hole. Today I caught bluegill, shellcracker, pumpkinseed, and redbreast bream, and I caught that variety in several different spots along both banks of the river.

I usually slip up and catch a few bass when throwing these little spinning lures, but that wasn't the case today. I didn't get fishing until about 10 though, so I think I was just too late to entice them into a meal.

The Wateree River is up a little higher than I normally like to fish it, but it had dropped slightly during my outing. To check the water levels of this and other rivers throughout South Carolina, check out the U.S. Goelogical Survey's website at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/rt and click on the river you're looking for.

PhotosByBrianCope: I didn't get my camera out in time to photograph a turkey along the banks, but he left his tracks for a photo. This pumpkinseed hit my Mepps spinner hard! Not alone--I wasn't the only boat on this section of the river today.

No comments:

Post a Comment